Happy Tuesday, San Diego! Welcome back to the San Diego Daily. Let’s get you caught up on what’s happening locally to start today off on an informed note.
First, today’s weather: Clear throughout the day. High: 76, low: 64.
Here are the top stories in San Diego today:
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration granted full approval to Pfizer-BioNTech‘s COVID-19 vaccine for people ages 16 and older, which San Diego leaders hope will remove some doubt from those who have been hesitant to receive a shot. (San Diego Patch)
- A U.S. Capitol police officer who fatally shot a San Diego woman during the January insurrection at the Capitol building will not face internal discipline, the department announced. (San Diego Patch)
- Fall classes began Monday for 60,000 students enrolled in the San Diego Community College District and thousands more at Southwestern College. (San Diego Patch)
- The San Diego County Earned Income Tax Credit Coalition announced the return of a total of $28,034,865 to local individuals and families through federal and state tax refunds. (San Diego Patch)
- The San Diego Public Library will host a public meeting Tuesday to reveal the preliminary findings of the first phase of the Library Master Plan, which took data from nearly 7,500 residents and more than 15 focus groups that included participants from underrepresented communities. (San Diego Patch)
Today’s San Diego Daily is brought to you by Ring, makers of home alarm systems. Ring alarm systems start as low as $199, and Ring offers free advice by phone on how to set up a system in your own home. Click here to learn more. Thank you Ring for helping to make local news happen in San Diego!
Today in San Diego
- Virtual: Business Alliance Group – Synergy Partners. (11:30 a.m.)
- Martin Rosales, Whispering Winds, Lions Camp Jack. (6 p.m.)
- The San Diego Press Club Presents “Write Better Now” Workshop. (6 p.m.)
San Diego Patch Notebook
- San Diego County Library: “Not only is Link+ now up and running, but we have eliminated overdue fines on materials borrowed through this service!” (Facebook)
- City of San Diego: “The City is proposing water and wastewater rate increases for 2022. A new Customer Bill Calculator will estimate how these changes may affect you.” (Facebook)
- San Diego County Library: “There’s a cost-free COVID-19 treatment that can limit the duration and severity of COVID-19 symptoms, but many San Diegans are not aware monoclonal antibody treatment is an option.” (Facebook)
- San Diego Central Library: “Ready to build amazing libraries in San Diego together? We can’t finish The Library Master Plan without your input first!” (Facebook)
- San Diego County Bicycle Coalition: “Our Programs Director, Sylvie, is leading guided tours as part of San Diego Design Week 2021!” (Facebook)
From our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- San Diego’s LARGEST “Small Business Networking Event” (August 25)
- San Diego County Real Estate & Economic Update (August 25)
- Tips for Divorce Negotiation – Carlsbad, CA Hub ~ No-Cost Webinar (August 25)
- A national 401(k) event for Employers, led by San Diegan (August 27)
- Free Family Mini Photo Sessions! (August 28)
- Taxes In Retirement Webinar (September 1)
- Free Family Mini Photo Sessions! (September 4)
- Add your event
You’re officially in the loop for today! Enjoy these newsletters? Consider inviting some of your friends and neighbors to follow along. You can send them this link to subscribe.
— Kristina Houck
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming San Diego Daily? I’m all ears. You can contact me at [email protected].