CARLSBAD, CA — The American Red Cross is seeking blood and platelet donors as well as volunteers in preparation for wildfires and other emergencies in San Diego County and across the country.
“This year’s wildfire season is already very active and dangerous because of the severe drought and dry woodlands in our area,” said Debbie Leahy, regional disaster officer of the Red Cross Southern California Region.
“After several years of record-breaking wildfires, the Red Cross is already responding in dozens of communities and asks you to train now to be a Red Cross volunteer and help if the need arises.”
The Red Cross needs new volunteers to support disaster shelters. Volunteers help with reception, registration, food distribution, dormitory, information collection and other vital tasks inside disaster shelters. Both entry- and supervisory-level opportunities are available.
The Red Cross also needs volunteers who can work in disaster shelters to address people’s health needs and provide hands-on care in alignment with their professional licensure (registered nurse and licensed practical nurse/licensed vocational nurse).
Contact Kaley Hearnsberger, senior recruitment specialist for San Diego and Imperial counties, at [email protected] or 619-455-9513 for more information.
Blood And Platelet Donors Needed
Wildfires can impact the nation’s blood supply, the Red Cross said, but donors can help overcome the need for blood and ensure blood is readily available.
Red Cross blood drives are being held across San Diego County, including in Carlsbad. See a list of upcoming blood drives below.
Individuals who donate throughout the month of August will receive a free four-month subscription offer to Apple Music via email (new subscribers only).
Donors are asked to schedule an appointment prior to arriving at a blood drive. Fully vaccinated individuals, including staff and donors, no longer need to wear masks or socially distance, according to the Red Cross. Unvaccinated individuals continue to be required to wear masks and socially distance.
Upcoming Blood Drives In San Diego County
- 8/27/2021: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., North Coast Church Carlsbad Campus, 2310 Camino Vida Roble, #104
- 8/29/2021: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., Shoppes at Carlsbad, 2525 El Camino Real
- 8/22/2021: 9:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., Otay Ranch Shopping Center, 2015 Birch Road
- 8/23/2021: 1 p.m. – 7 p.m., Chula Vista Elks Lodge, 901 Elks Lane
- 8/24/2021: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., Eastlake Community Church, 990 Lane Ave.
- 8/30/2021: 11:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., Chula Vista Center, 555 Broadway, Suite 138
- 8/31/2021: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., California Yacht Marina, 640 Marina Parkway
- 8/24/2021: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., East County Transitional Living Center, 1527 E Main St.
- 8/19/2021: 7:30 a.m. – 2 p.m., Magdalena Ecke Family YMCA, 200 Saxony Road
- 8/20/2021: 10:30 a.m. – 5 p.m., Best Buy, 1046 N. El Camino Real
- 8/17/2021: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., Westfield North County, 272 E. Via Rancho Parkway
- 8/18/2021: 11 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., Bellamy’s Restaurant, 417 W Grand Ave.
- 8/19/2021: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., Senator Brian Jones and Escondido Chamber of Commerce, 720 N Broadway
- 8/28/2021: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., Escondido East Valley Community Center, 2245 East Valley Parkway
- 8/17/2021: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., Torrey Pines Church, 8320 La Jolla Scenic Drive N
- 8/29/2021: 8 a.m. – 2:30 p.m., Albertsons, 8920 Fletcher Parkway
- 8/26/2021: 1 p.m. – 7 p.m., Oceanside Masonic Center, 511 Eucalyptus
- 8/26/2021: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., Oceanside First Presbyterian Church, 2001 El Camino Real
- 8/23/2021: 10:30 a.m. – 5 p.m., Target, 14823 Pomerado Road
- 8/23/2021: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., St. Bartholomew’s Episcopal Church, 16275 Pomerado Road
- 8/26/2021: 9 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., Mossy Nissan Poway, 14100 Poway Road
- 8/31/2021: 8 a.m. – 2 p.m., Ramona High School, 1401 Hanson Lane
Rancho Santa Fe
- 8/17/2021: 12 p.m. – 6:30 p.m., Nick & G’s Restaurant, 6106 Paseo Delicias
- Kearny Mesa Blood Donation Center, 4229 Ponderosa Ave., Suite C (See RedCrossBlood.org for hours)
- 8/17/2021: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., Country Inn & Suites, 5975 Lusk Blvd.
- 8/18/2021: 10:15 a.m. – 3:45 p.m., Rock Church City Heights, 4001 El Cajon Blvd.
- 8/25/2021: 11:30 a.m. – 6 p.m., Woodstock’s Pizza, 6145 El Cajon Blvd.
- 8/30/2021: 1 p.m. – 7 p.m., First Baptist Church of SD, 5055 Governor Drive
- 8/31/2021: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., Mission Valley YMCA, 5505 Friars Road
- 8/18/2021: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., Rock Church, 1370 W San Marcos Blvd.
- 8/19/2021: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., City of San Marcos, 1 Civic Center Drive
- 8/21/2021: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., Biggs Harley-Davidson, 1040 Los Vallecitos Blvd., #113
What To Know About Giving Blood
All blood types are needed. Interested in donating? Download the Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit RedCrossBlood.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) for more information or to make an appointment.
A blood donor card or driver’s license or two other forms of identification are required at check-in.
Individuals who are 17 in most states (16 with parental consent where allowed by state law), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. High school students and other donors 18 and younger also have to meet certain height and weight requirements.
Donors can save time at their next donation by using RapidPass to complete their pre-donation reading and health history questionnaire online, on the day of their donation, before arriving at the blood drive.